All of the information you find has been purposefully conceived by the Mesquite ISD Design Team comprised of teachers, principals, instructional specialists and curriculum experts. This team brought all of their experiences together to design a learning experience to ensure all students are reading on grade level by third grade.
Check out the story of the Design Team’s work:
Our Beliefs About Learning
We believe …
- that all children have the ability to learn and thrive when given the opportunity to develop in their own unique ways.
- that engaging educators, parents, and community in the learning process is critical to the success of our students.
- that reading opens the door to all other learning and success in life.
- that children reach their full potential in a safe, nurturing environment.
- that each student deserves knowledgeable teachers who are highly committed and dedicated to student success.
Early Learner Profile
- The early learner takes risks and perseveres in the face of challenges.
- The early learner displays compassion and empathy towards others.
- The early learner uses curiosity to investigate, explore, and drive learning.
- The early learner demonstrates flexibility in thinking, takes risks and applies learning in a variety of contexts.
- The early learner utilizes a variety of resources including technology to collaborate and expand learning.
- The early learner reads a variety of text for information and for pleasure.
- The early learner communicates and collaborates with others in various formats for different purposes.
- The early learner eagerly learns, plays, laughs, and connects learning to real life.
- All learners engage and respond to a variety of texts everyday.
- All learners use technology to collaborate with others in and beyond the classroom.
- All learners will collaborate around an authentic problem and determine solutions.
- All learners experience a variety of learning opportunities and make choices about their learning.
The Mesquite ISD Learning Framework simplifies the teacher and student role in the learning process. Each step brings together all of the district initiatives for learning into one single learning experience. While each step is critical in the learning process, at the heart of this framework is professional learning, which symbolizes that all educators are lifelong learners allowing us to hone our craft to meet the needs of all learners.
Bringing all of the literacy best practices into an easy and simple process, the MISD Design Team wanted to simplify what needs to happen every day in the classroom that gets students reading on grade level by third grade. With using informal assessments as a foundation, educators can determine areas where students need attention within the literacy best practices. Additionally, the professional learning team organizes teacher staff development opportunities focusing on how to leverage each of these steps in the classroom.